For many Americans, Social Security is the single largest asset they have in retirement. Greater than 90% of Social Security recipients fail to maximize this critical piece of the retirement income puzzle. Advance planning is essential. The decisions you make today could have a tremendous impact on the total benefit you receive over your lifetime. This educational workshop will provide you with important information to help you understand the system, coordinate spousal and survivor benefits, minimize taxes and maximize your personal benefits. Whether you’re single, married, divorced or widowed, there may be ways to maximize the lifetime Social Security benefits you receive.
Important issues to understand:
- Is “file and suspend” really gone?
- How married couples can coordinate benefits to help enhance spousal and survivor benefits.
- How divorce impacts spousal benefits.
- Claiming a spousal benefit while earning delayed retirement credits.
- How working impacts taxes on Social Security benefits.
- How claiming early worker benefits could lower your spousal benefit at full retirement age.
- The effect of remarriage on survivor benefits for widowed and divorced spouses.